First of all, no one died. Whew, thank goodness. Second of all, I think I’ve mentioned before that I have a thing for funeral potatoes (the cheesy potatoes generally served at Mormon funerals). I am kindof obsessed with potatoes in general. Especially since I’ve been pregnant. I am craving potatoes just about every day! I have almost singlehandedly eating 15 pounds of potatoes in the last month. I know, I have a problem.
Anyhow, it’s hard to find a good funeral potatoes recipe for us gluten and dairy freers. I think I have mastered a good one and I would like to share it with you, but only if you will treat it nicely.
Also, this dish is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and I do believe I ate it for all 3. For breakfast, we ate it paired with scrambled eggs and sausage. Yummy!
Below you will see a photo of how it should look before it goes in the oven and before the Corn Flakes go on the top. Also, I should mention this recipe is naturally gluten free as well as dairy free, so it fits in with our family’s diet quite nicely.
DAIRY FREE FUNERAL POTATOES RECIPE
- 3/4 C. almond milk (not vanilla)
- 1/2 C. chicken broth
- 1 C. Tofutti brand sour cream
- 1 1/2 C. white Tofutti brand cheese-substitute shreds
- 2 lb bag of frozen hash brown squares, mostly thawed
- 3 C. corn flakes cereal
- 3 T. Earth Balance dairy free butter substitute
- 2 T. dried onion
- 1 T. Garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a stoneware casserole dish. I used a square. You could also use a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix milk, broth, sour cream, and cheese. Carefully fold in hashbrowns gently until well coated. Spoon the mixture in the prepared casserole dish.
- Crush the corn flakes in a ziploc bag and mix in the melted butter. Sprinkle the cereal and butter mixture over the top of the hashbrown mixture
- Put foil over the casserole dish and and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for another 15 minutes. I broiled the casserole for 5 minutes to get a crispy coating on the top. This is optional. Enjoy!
If you have any questions, please post a comment and I will try to answer as quickly as possible. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as my family did!